Rio Celeste & Llanos de Cortez Waterfall
Explore one of Costa Rica’s most famous natural wonders where you can observe one of nature’s most intriguing phenomenons. Two brooks merge together, turning clear water into a divine hue of turquoise. You will also get to stop by the Llanos de Cortes Waterfall, a truly beautiful sight off the beaten path.
Hotel Pick up
After pick up from your hotel, you will stop for coffee and/or breakfast, you will be driven 3 hours to Tenorio Volcano National Park.
National Park Hike
Upon arriving at the entrance, you will start out on a 2 hour moderately difficult hike in the park. Along the trail you will walk through the rainforest and along the Celeste River, where you can observe one of nature’s most intriguing phenomenons. After this beautiful site, you will continue hiking to where two brooks merge together, turning clear water into a divine hue of turquoise that makes Rio Celeste. This chemical reaction, due to the volcanic minerals, makes for an astounding sight that can only be experienced at this unique location. After hiking, you will head to another part of the river outside of the park where you will get to swim in the blue waters!! This is where you will often see sloths and other wildlife. This hike is a fantastic opportunity for healthy exercise and unforgettable experiences in one of Costa Rica’s most unique hidden gems.
Costa Rican Lunch
After your swim, we will stop by a local restaurant for a plentiful Costa Rican style lunch!
Llanos de Cortez Waterfall
To end the day, we will take you to Llanos de Cortez Waterfall in Bagaces, where you can relax and take a swim underneath the falls or walk around exploring the flora and fauna.
- Rain boots can be rented at the park’s entrance. Ponchos can be bought there as well.
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- On some rare occasions after heavy rainfall, the rivers flood and the turquoise color goes away, causing the river and waterfall to be brown.
- 2 person minimum, if you are a single traveler, contact us to see which dates are open
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- You can rent a Go Pro from us for $40/day – option available at checkout
- We operate this tour rain or shine!
- In effort to eliminate single use plastic bottles on our tours, please bring a reusable water bottle. We have large water containers to refill them. We will provide one for you if you do not have one!
- You may cancel free of charge up to 48 hours before start of the tour.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before the start of the tour will be subject to a 100% cancellation charge. Extreme cases are taken into consideration.
Departure/Return LocationLa Oveja Negra Surf Club
Departure Time6:30 AM
Return Time6:00 PM
Dress CodeComfortable walking shoes and clothes for warm/sunny & cooler/rainy weather, rain gear, bathing suit, towel, sunscreen, insect repellent, change of clothes, camera, reusable water container
IncludedGuideHotel Pick up & Drop OffLunchWater
Tenorio Volcano National Park