Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park
A full day tour exploring the flora, fauna and natural wonders of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park. The day consists of a moderate 2-hour hike where you will see wildlife and volcanic activity, have a visit to Oropendola Waterfall where you can swim in the blue lagoon, eat a typical Costa Rican lunch, and then relax hot springs and enjoy a volcanic mud bath.
Hotel Pick up
After pick up from your hotel, you will stop for coffee and/or breakfast, you will be driven (1-2 hours depending on pick up location) up to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano, the hike begins from the Pailas Sector.
National Park Hike
Your guide, native to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano, will help to spot wildlife such as Toucans, Capuchin monkeys, Howler Monkeys, Turkeys, Coatis, and much more. You will stop to view the volcanic activity including bubbling mud pots, fumaroles, and a mini crater..
After the hike, take a short walk off the beaten path to Oropendola Waterfall just outside of the park, where you can jump in and swim in the blue lagoon.
You will then be driven back to have a plentiful full buffet lunch. There are plenty of options for dietary restrictions such as vegetarians, gluten free, and vegan. Includes a salad bar, many choices of entrees and sides, dessert bar, fresh juice, coffee and tee.
Hot Springs & Volcanic Mud Bath
After lunch you will driven to the Hot Springs. Surrounded by tropical dry forest, the Río Negro (Black River) Hot Springs feature ten pools with thermal waters heated naturally by the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano.The soothing mineral waters are crystal clear and all natural, and the river flows through the pools constantly refilling them with water. Relax and enjoy luxuriating in our healing waters. You can also try our volcanic mud “bath”, where you smooth volcanic clay mud all over yourself like a spa “masque,” then after it dries, wash it off with a cool river water shower. The hot springs water will feel great afterwards!
Pick up Times
6:30 AM @ La Oveja Negra
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- 2 person minimum, if you are a single traveler, contact us to see which dates are open
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- You can rent a Go Pro from us for $40/day – option available at checkout
- We operate this tour rain or shine!
- In effort to eliminate single use plastic bottles on our tours, please bring a reusable water bottle. We have large water containers to refill them. We will provide one for you if you do not have one!
- You may cancel free of charge up to 48 hours before start of the tour.
- Cancellations less than 48 hours before the start of the tour will be subject to a 100% cancellation charge. Extreme cases are taken into consideration.
Departure/Return LocationLa Oveja Negra Surf Club
Departure Time6:30 AM
Return Time5:30 PM
Dress CodeComfortable walking shoes and clothes, bathing suit, towel, sunscreen, insect repellent, change of clothes, camera, reusable water container
IncludedGuideHotel Pick up & Drop OffLunchWater
Rincon de la Vieja Volcano, Guanacaste Province